Chelsea’s Story

I only had the Mirena IUD in for 5 weeks and it was the worst experience of my life. I have had anxiety throughout my life but never suffered from anxiety and depression like this, even after the birth of my two children. I very quickly went to the darkest place I have ever been. A week after insertion I started feeling pretty bad breast pain and was really sad for no reason. Each day for the following 3-4 weeks I had more severe symptoms. I started getting aura/ocular migraines every second day (usually only have 4-5 a year) completely losing my vision for up to 45 minutes at a time. These would leave me with pounding headaches and vertigo to the point of feeling helpless. I was so depressed and would just cry all day and had to hide at work in the bathroom because I thought I was going crazy. Everything was so foggy. I kept finding myself thinking that if I had to live in a state of mind like this, I don’t think I could make it. Nothing was making sense, my body was constantly vibrating from crippling anxiety for no reason at all. I ended up going to the ER one day after my 6th aura/ocular migraine in a 12 day period because I thought I was dying and that my brain was shutting down or I was having a stroke because my body was tingling and my mouth was numb. The doctor said sometimes these side effects (I think she thought I was being a little over-dramatic) can happen with a hormonal IUD but if I stick it out they will eventually regulate. They gave me medication and a shot and I went home and slept for the first time in what felt like weeks. The insomnia was also killing me at this point. I woke up feeling just as bad. I couldn’t even turn the lights on because my eyes were so sensitive to any light, it was making me nauseous. During the last week of having it in I can honestly say I was completely disassociated with realty. Everything was foggy, I felt like I was dreaming, but more like a nightmare. I felt like someone had drugged me and I was on a terrible trip that I could not get out of.

5 days after the trip to the ER I went to a walk in clinic – probably should not have been driving at this point. I was so out of it, I went in the room and tried explaining how I had been feeling and asked for the doctor to remove the IUD, which thankfully he was totally onboard with, and said they are not meant for everyone. But I was so out of touch with reality that even though he showed me it afterwards, when he left the room I went through the garbage to actually see if it was out. Who does that!?

Fast forward to today, one week after having it removed and I feel 75-80% better! No migraines and loss of vision, anxiety, heart palpitations and the depression is pretty much completely gone. I am starting to feel normal and back to myself. The headaches and sensitivity to light are still present but getting better each day. I think because it was only in for a short period of time I will feel completely back to normal soon, at least that’s what I’m hoping for!

Submitted on August 7, 2021

Read more testimonials.
Share your story.